THE MISSION: Bring Great Glory to a Great Savior by telling people what Jesus did for great sinners and inspiring others to do the same.

July 30, 2013

Atheist Penn Jillette Speaks Out About Witnessing

Penn Jillette, the famous illusionist and outspoken atheist, shared his cold-stone observations about Christians and witnessing after a Christian offered him a bible.  In typical no-holds-barred fashion, Jillette went straight for the jugular, declaring (on his own YouTube channel) as follows:

"I've always said, you know, that I don't respect people who do not proselytize. I don't respect that at all. If you believe that there's a heaven and hell, and people could be going to hell or not getting eternal life or whatever, and you think that, uh, well, it's not really worth telling them this because it would make it socially awkward . . . uh, how much do you have to hate somebody to not proselytize them? How much do you have to hate somebody to believe that everlasting life is possible and not tell them that? I mean, if I believed beyond the shadow of a doubt that a truck was coming to hit you, and you didn't believe it, and that truck was bearing down on you, there's a certain point where I tackle you. And this is more important than that."

Jesus said it this way:  "Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends" (John 15:13).  He also told us to go into "all" the world and share the gospel with "every" person (Mark. 16.15).  And Jesus emphasized that we'll obey him if we really love Him (John 14.21).

Do I love Jesus enough to obey him?  Do I love people enough to take the time to tell them the most important news of all, news that can literally save their lives?  I admit I often don't.  I have to ask the God of Love daily to give me the depth of love that's needed to obey Jesus' command to lay down my life--lay down my time, my preferences, my fears, my distractions, my idols, my self-interests--in order to take the time to share the gospel with "every" person (Mark 16:15).


No comments:

Post a Comment