THE MISSION: Bring Great Glory to a Great Savior by telling people what Jesus did for great sinners and inspiring others to do the same.

August 25, 2009

Day 79 - His Name Means Salvation But ....

At lunch, I descended the 27 floors of the building where I work to walk a couple of blocks to the bank. On my way, I heard drumming off in the distance. There was a drummer playing his drums for donations near one of the street corners.

After I left the bank, I decided to stop by and strike up a conversation with the drummer. It just happened that as I strolled up to him he was in the process of wrapping up for the lunch hour and packing up his equipment.

I smiled big, reached out my hand, and introduced myself. We talked about his drumming. He told me about his website (which is where I got the photo of him above). I then asked him what his name was. His name is Jascha (pronounced "Yash-ah"). Wow, cool name. Where are you from, I asked? Oklahoma, he said. He went on to explain the religious significance behind his name. It was a blend of Jesus and Yahweh and meant salvation.

Perfect transition.

That kicked off our discussion about his spiritual beliefs. Turns out that he is a professing believer who actually spent some time at bible school but who (without going into the sad details) is seriously backsliding, and he knows it. He understood the gospel, but he also expressed concern about his eternal destiny. He's admittedly way off the narrow way. I tried to encourage him to be careful to examine himself, make sure he's in the faith, and turn back to the Lord before it's too late. I gently urged him that it may be that God was sending me across his path to remind him how much God loves him, that God is still there for him, and that God is waiting for him to return, arms open wide. I exhorted him to get back into the word daily, reminding him that sin will keep him from the Book, but the Good Book will keep him from sin. I encouraged him to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all else would fall into place in his life in getting back on The Way.

Pray for Jascha. Pray that God stirred his heart toward genuine repentance today and that he will return to the Lord and seek first the Kingdom of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment